Monday, February 22, 2010

Sass was in a different Bel-

I spent a few days in Brussels, Belgium visiting friends last week. I have to confess that I was excited about seeing Mindi and Dan and Miaken and Joel, but the thought of being in Brussels didn't thrill me. It is a perfectly nice city, but a little... sterile. Boring. I guess when Kyiv and Moscow are your first foreign cities, it just isn't that exciting when everything is clean and works the way it should. But, I had a lovely time! The first couple of days I stayed with Mindi and Dan in their spacious (by European standards) apartment. We hung out, did a little shopping, a little dining and just chilled. It was exactly what I needed.

The weather was TERRIBLE. Cold, snowy, windy. The best part is that Belgium ran out of salt and sand in December (they aren't used to much snow). So, they did nothing. The roads and sidewalks weren't scraped or swept. Nothing. Even though there were only a couple of inches on the ground it was fairly rough going (walking or driving). Good times.

Sunday Dan headed out to cover a professional Cyclo-cross race. I convinced Mindi to join me at a huge water park. It was awesome- several heated pools (including one that was partially outside- I LOVE swimming in the snow) and SAUNA LAND. We hung out, avoiding greasy boys in the hot tub until we were nice and pruney. I would highly suggest a visit while in Brussels- aim to go on a weekday to avoid annoying crowds (the sauna only works if you keep the door closed people! I am serious about my steam baths).

Monday afternoon I met up with Miaken and Joel and their friend Olivier and his girlfriend Johana. We headed outside of town to stay at Olivier's family house, and his mother invited us over for dinner. Did you know that in Europe it is ok to have cheese and bacon for dinner? Monique served raclette and it was heavenly. She is a hospitable and well-traveled woman- it was a lovely evening. The next day we headed south to Binche to attend their world famous Carnival. It is no Rio, no New Orleans, but it is something. We thought we were going to watch a parade, but I don't think what we saw qualifies as a parade. It was more like groups of people in costumes with bands moving slowly through town while hurling blood oranges at the crowd (it's their tradition- I got hit in the chest. Hard.). There are 20,000 people crowded into a tiny town center and tons of cops. Who would stop the "parade" regularly. You know, to ensure that there wasn't too much movement, or any cohesiveness. Regardless it was a lot of fun and great people watching.

All too soon it was time for me to go and I was under the weather. Mindi and I had a bite of lunch and a Starbucks and the airport and then I made my way through security. Once inside I picked up a vampire paperback and some chocolates for the office and friends. Then I went to the bathroom. Unfortunately, I had already done my business by the time I saw this:
That's right- a lady urinal (or ur-eye-nal as the Brits pronounce it). I was so excited that I threw my purse and carry-on down on the counter and proceeded to document this oddity that I didn't realize my carry-on fell into the sink. The automatic sink. So, while I was snapping away (wondering if I should pose on the Lady P.) my carry-on bag (with the new book and boxes of chocolate but luckily not my passport, phone, or camera) filled with water. And overflowed. I managed to salvage everything (and put the book through the Dyson hand dryer which is cooler than foam soap but not as amazing as the Lady P. but more practical) but the bag. It could have been worse- but lucky for all of us I opted not to pose on the urinoir.

But next time I will use it. As long as I follow the instructions it should be great, right?

1. Take the skiing position (um, I will need to practice this part, never having been on skis)

2. Throw sanitary towel or tampon in the wastebin (don't use, so I can skip to step 3)

3. Urinate (thanks for reminding me why I am here)

4. Flush paper (got it).

Wow! Now I can't wait to go back. Have you ever seen a Lady P. anywhere? Let me know. Also, that may be my new nickname.

PS- I will either post a link to pictures or a collage of Belgium pics soon. Trying an experiment.

PPS- The shrink wrapping my luggage is proving to be the best theft prevention. No new thievery in months!


No comments: