Thursday, May 15, 2008

I do not fear the promaja

I got out of bed yesterday and heard a great CRACK from the vicinity of my neck. At first it didn't hurt much, unless I moved, but as the day wore on it got worse. A little massage, and lot of hot compress and still pretty painful, but that is not what this is about.

Upon learning about my ailment, my Serbian friends (almost without fail) ask when and where I was exposed to a draft (not a military draft, or even draft beer, we are talking about a current of air type draft). I have encountered this fear of air before, in Ukraine and Russia. I recall traveling by bus through Crimea in August, and nearly coming to blows with my neighbor about opening the bus window. My point was that I needed air to BREATHE, and she was afraid that the "skvoznyak" would make her sick.

I am more inclined to think that my neck issue is a result of stress, and the fact that over the last week I have been spending 12 hours a day hunched over my computer.

I am not discounting that the promaja causes pain and illness to Serbs, but I don't think it affects me. I have also been told throughout my years of living outside of the US that I would get sick from air conditioning, ice, cold water, and air currents. And I'm still here.

2 comments:

Everyday Yogini said...

I have found that people in Italia are a little pazzo about cold air/wind, too. What IS it??? I am so very sorry about your neck, my little chickadee. I think you are right that it's probably stress.

Serial Single said...

Is this the ACTUAL version of the neck injury??

The Germans are that way too. If you have a sore throat, somehow wearing a giant scarf around your neck helps. Much like people thinking you can get a cold by being outside with wet hair. Nope, generally viruses and actual bacteria cause illness. Not cold air. I don't get it.

Although, now that I think of, there are idiots all over the world. It reminds me of my bitchy, sorority-girl, ueber-rich freshman roommate from Chicago. I got used carpet for our dorm room and her mom told me that she'd "raised three children and my bout with tonsilitis was likely due to that used carpet". Right.