Thursday, May 22, 2008

I also love Eurovision, Icelanders, and my new Danish friends

On Monday, my friend Oli gave me the lowdown on an Icelandic Eurovision party at a club near my house. I wanted to go, but you need to be "the list"... well, it turns out that you can find any Icelandic mobile phone number online. So, he sends me the number of one member of the group, Hera. So I sent her the following:

"Hi Hera! I am an American living in Belgrade, and I love Iceland and your music! I would love to come meet you tonight... can I come to the party?"

I waited nervously for her reply... which was "Of course!!! See you there!"

How friendly! So my friend and I headed out. It was a total blast, and different from most night's out in Belgrade as the majority of the crowd was a) foreign and b) of the gay persuasion. After the contestants from Iceland and Denmark performed, the party seemed to be wrapping up. We started talking to the guys at the table next to us, who were all from Denmark and travel to Eurovision every year. They were also very friendly! We went with them to a club that was featuring karaoke of previous song contest winners and lots of dancing. It was a total blast! My feet where killing me when I hobbled home at 3:00 but it was totally worth it.

Then we found out that there were still tickets available for the semi-final tonight. So we are going- and we are going to get to see some of the most highly-anticipated performances including Ukraine, Sweden and Denmark. And Iceland- they may not be tipped to win, but they sure are sweet.

No comments: