Tuesday, May 27, 2008

This being one of those times when Sass is not in Serbia

A brief update on the past few days which have been hectic. First there was the Eurovision semi-final, which was a total blast! I had a great time enjoying (some of) the music, watching the fans (Sweden and Georgia have the most enthusiastic fans) and partying with friends old and new. I was surprised and disappointed when some of the fans chose to boo some contestants from countries with, um, different political agendas than Serbia, but I learned that it is not unheard of at Eurovision. The Danes (who are in fact great) snuck us into the OFFICIAL after-party. Tons of fans, all of the finalists and those who didn't make it (big hello to Morena from Malta- a very positive young woman!). The best part is that most reviews of the organization and hospitality of my adopted brethren have been very positive!

At this point, I could spend a lot of time telling you how awful the winner is... and contemplating how he beat this and this and this and this (one of my favorites). But you can't beat a dead horse.

Then I got up very, very early and flew to Frankfurt, and then to Washington, DC, and then I sat around for five hours, and then I flew to Chicago and then finally to Kansas City. Luckily I made it at the same time as my bags, and with the everything that I had packed in them. It was a Christmas miracle*, except in June. After that, it was a 1.5 hour drive to Topeka at which point I passed out on my uncle's couch and slept like the dead. Not surprisingly, I seem to have brought the rain with me, even across the pond. But unlike the rest of my recent travels, these are powerful Kansas thunderstorms, with lightening and thunder that doesn't seem to end.

Since then, I have been chillin' with the family and tonight I am going to hang out with even older friends. I miss my home and privacy and even work (well, I am getting enough of that) but am looking forward to the other parts of my trip- Maine, Baltimore, DC, and Nashville. And then I will need a vacation.

* In the last six months, I have had bags go missing for several days (thanks United airlines!), had $400 stolen from me on the way to Mexico, and of course the heart rate monitor and panties. It was with great trepidation that I approached the baggage claim area at the Kansas City International Airport. You can imagine my relief to find my belongings unmolested.

No comments: